Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive- Johnny Mercer (1944)


Rating-- 6/10

This is the first non-album I've done-- a three-minute-long song from 1944 about forgetting your troubles and focusing on the good things. Pretty ironic (but most likely on purpose) that this song was released in the midst of World War II. It is also interesting that the beginning of the song is treated like the beginning of a church sermon. I like that part, since it is unusual for an old song to begin with kind of a novelty almost-spoken-word part-- it reminds me of 3 Feet High and Rising in that respect. Also, it is especially relevant that it's in a church. There's nothing like going to church in the 1940s to forget your troubles and focus on something else.

The opening and the background behind the lyrics are the most noteworthy things about this song. I think it was probably picked for the National Recording Registry (in 2015) because of its lyrics telling you to "ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive" and "eliminate the negative" going on overseas. The music itself is basic 1940s-1950s fare-- cheery Pied Pipers vocals, jazzy orchestra, charismatic voice of the singer, Johnny Mercer. The chorus is catchy. I'm not surprised there were four more popular recordings of the song, all the way into 1945. None of them ever hit #1, though.

Overall, it's a decent song. I don't quite feel like I've gained anything by listening to it, though.


Today's "Music Was Better Back Then" comment:

I learned about this song from my dad, long before that shitstain of a game disgraced the shelves it was sold off of.

(That's the closest I could get, anyhow. The people in the comments are surprisingly good at "accentuating the positive" about music. By the way, I think Fallout is a perfectly fine game, if a little dark for my tastes. It has a good premise and good music.)


Comments

Popular Posts